After just 7 short months, I'm finally getting a post on this poor neglected blog. I've frequently had good intentions, and then something else seems to be going on and it passes. It has been 1000 days since Torie and Josiah's transplants. Yes, I really do still keep track. Some days it seems so long ago, and other times it seems like just yesterday. Torie is doing awesome! She is so full of energy and never seems to slow down.
Torie loves her purple glasses, and she is great about wearing them. She wants to put them on as soon as she gets up, and she's really good about leaving them on. Her vision is stable and she hasn't had any changes. She's also a champ about wearing her hearing aides. She asks for them when she gets up too. We can tell a definite difference when she has them in. Her speech is much clearer and she does hear better. Too bad they don't help with listening!
Dr. Deering (orthopedics) did Carpal Tunnel release on both Torie's hands in June. She sailed right through it. The only time she ever complained was 2 days after surgery. She said "Ow, Mama. My hands hurt. I need to roast a marshmallow." (We were camping.) And that was it. We wonder if maybe they feel better now.
{WARNING----the next picture is pretty graphic!}
Dr. Deering told me that as soon as she made the incision into Torie's hand "the nerve bulged out just like delivering a baby." (The worm-like thing between the retractors is her nerve.) Because of that grayish-white color, Dr. Deering was very concerned that the nerve wouldn't get bloodflow, but as soon as she released it above and below it pinked right up. She was quite impressed. She'd never seen a nerve that big, and even got one of the adult docs to come into the OR to look and be impressed and take pictures. That's our girl. She does know how to impress people. Too bad it's not for her stellar manners!
Torie and Ryker both had a great time swimming this summer. They do love water!
In August, Tom and I traveled to Rochester, New York, for the wedding of our sweet boy Joseph's mommy and daddy. Kim, my BMT sister, and Pat finally made it official. I pretty much bawled through the whole thing. Joseph is excellent! Parents of Special Needs kids only have about a 20% chance of staying together. To see them married and with their awesome boy made the day even more special!
The middle of August, Tom and I took Torie and Ryker to Wyoming to the cabin for a week to see the Great's. Torie had a birthday party for Mama-Great, and made her a special cake. This kid sure loves a birthday party!
All right, I'm caught up till almost the end of August. Tune in tomorrow on T+1001 and I'll finish up. I've got way more to fill you in on! Thanks for coming back and checking on us. And a very merry T+1000 to 2 (and there are lots more!) of the toughest kids I know, Torie and our Strong Sweet Si. The grace and courage and strength that kids have will never cease to amaze me! Vic-Torie!
Sweetest Torie, we made it! (wish you could actually hear Josiah say that.. it sounds more like "we MAYd it)" with deep southern drawl :) Love to hear how great you are doing, love to see the pictures too! It seems like forever since we have visited but as long as you and the grands are doing great, that is good. Stay strong our twin triplet and may God continue to bless you! We all send our LOvE!
ReplyDeleteSi and the family
Happy T+1000 Torie!!!
ReplyDeletePapa Tom
Yay! Happy 1000 day! It's great to see all the fun things she's up to! :)
ReplyDelete