We don't know who donated this cord blood but we will always be grateful that they chose to donate.
After the Un-Birthday party, Torie took a huge long nap. I think all that she's been through is starting to catch up with her. She woke up with a fever of 102.2 so they drew blood cultures and did a chest X-ray. She's now on antibiotics - more Vancomycin - and Fortaz until the blood cultures come back. This is pretty standard with transplant. They want to make sure that if she has an infection they start treating it right away because she has no immunity anymore. To anything. She'll even have to start all over with immunizations. She perked up after some Tylenol and now she's sleeping. She actually perked up a little on the way to X-ray when she saw Josiah's room. He got his new blood today from his hero brother James, and they're both doing well.
"Torie, you were born from the union of the life-giving blood of your parents. Today, you are being bonded in a special way with the life-giving blood of your donor. We are thankful for the loving kindness of this child's parents to donate to us this cord blood. Embrace Torie in your loving arms and surround her with your healing presence as you bless her with this gift of life. Open her body and spirit that she may receive the living hope that is resting in the gift of this cord blood."
I hope I am able to tell you what happened during the blessing. I was holding Torie on my lap and she became so calm and peaceful. I could feel Tom's dad, Grandpa Flake, in the room with us. I heard the words the chaplain was reading in Grandpa Flake's voice. And I could see and feel his great big hands on Torie. He was here with us giving us his strength and love and prayers. Please please please add yours to Grandpa Flake's so these new cells will grow enzyme for Torie. Grow cells, grow! Vic-Torie!
I have no doubt that Grandpa and Grandma Flake were there. When things get hard I hope you always remember how many people, near & far...even as far as heaven, are thinking of you and praying for you.
ReplyDeleteOmg... :'(
ReplyDeleteThis is a Bible scripture that I love and say to myself often as it gives me peace. I think it is perfect for Torie. "Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." Joshua 1:9
ReplyDeleteWe're praying that little Torie's new cells start growing fast and her immune system comes quickly.
ReplyDeleteHmmm...I can smell creamed corn just thinking about it! :)
Lots of love!
Way to go Torie! We made it this far, may God bless in our new blood to make the enzymes we need. Your always in our prayers and we miss you!
ReplyDeleteJosiah and family
Hooray for O+!!! That's me! Join the club! We pray things will continue to move along as they should. Isn't that just like Grandpa to be there when you need him! Grandma had to be right there beside him. God is surely mindful of his little ones ... Torie and Josiah, and so many others ... He truly loves them. Since Erin is quoting scriptures ... PEACE is straight from God. One of my favorites is in John 14: vs. 8, "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you." Then vs. 27; "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." Our prayers remain with you, and Josiah, and Tom, and Lexie & Scott, and Uncle Don, and .....
ReplyDeleteOur love to you, Aunt Lanny & Uncle Eddy
Oops -- scripture references are John 14: 18 & 27.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on being done with the transplant! Wow, it's crazy how much build up there is for something that takes only 20 minutes - and then can change her life! We're so glad it went well, and we pray for it to continue to go well now that you are post-transplant! Thanks for sharing that about Grandpa Flake, I think they are much closer than we realize!
ReplyDeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteI am pregnant and was recently approached by the representative of a Core Blood Bank about the possibility of saving the cord blood as future insurance for my child. I liked the idea but the cost of perseverance is quite high. I have also come to know that menstrual blood also has stem cells that can be used for transplant. Do you have any idea about that?