Wednesday, February 10, 2010

T+6 & A Mohawk

I apologize again for my tardiness (Thanks Julie for reminding me!) and I appreciate how many people check on Torie every day! She's doing great...most of the barfing is done and she's slowing down on the other end. She's got an awfully sore fanny and even needed morphine for the pain yesterday. We're spackling her with "poop goop" a lot, and she doesn't let us forget to. "Mama, cream Torie bottom!" Her WBC's are still less than 0.1, but her hemoglobin has actually gone UP since yesterday. And that's without any more PRBC's. I guess the continual decline was also part of the manual she didn't read. Platelets are holding steady but I'm guessing she may need more Friday morning. Maybe I should start a "Platelet Pool" and sell squares! She does have some mouth sores but she still loves her bink. She's checking Elmo to see if he has any mouth sores too. She uses saline-soaked sponges to try to prevent them from getting worse four times a day, and for the most part she doesn't mind. She's always loved to brush her teeth and this is as close as she can get right now. With such low platelets we don't want to do anything to cause bleeding. She's got a lot of swelling in her gums and every day her teeth seem to look smaller.

She also started losing her hair yesterday and today she woke up sporting this cool '80's mohawk! I'm so glad we had cut her hair before this. It would be so hard to see it long and patchy. And it would have been a mess...hair everywhere!

It's heartbreaking to see her go through so much, but she is handling it with her usual grace and humor. She loves all the cards and gifts she's been getting and they are filling up her room quickly. Maybe if we overflow into the hall they'll boot us out!
Please keep sending your happy thoughts and wishes and prayers for Torie and for her friend Josiah and his family too. Life here on 5D is no fun for anyone and it's so easy to feel isolated and alone. Knowing you are thinking of us makes it so much more bearable...Thank you!
Grow cells, grow! Vic-Torie!

5 comments:

  1. Rock the Hawk Torie!! :) She's such a cutie! I'm glad things are improving somewhat for her - we continue to think about and pray for you guys, and look forward to your updates!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! Love the hair, lookin more alike ever day. Miss playing with you but then I don't do much playing right now. Lots of love and prayers!
    Josiah and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Mohawk, I'd do it too if I could!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janell Kierstein (TCH)February 11, 2010 at 10:15 AM

    Still beautiful, even with the new 'do! Just wanted to let you know that you all continue to be in my thoughts. Hang in there, Torie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey girly, stay strong! And take good care of Elmo. Make sure he uses his mouth swabs too.

    ReplyDelete

If you are leaving an "Anonymous" comment, please leave your name so we know who to send happy thoughts back to!