Monday, August 23, 2010
T+200!
Once again, I apologize for not updating sooner. By the time we got done with our exciting weekend, I was just too tired. Saturday we decided to go somewhere. Anywhere. It's hard to just stay here all the time. Torie was feeling really good, and the 'roid rage was dissipating. We decided to go to Pepin, Wisconsin. What's in Pepin, Wisconsin, you ask? The Little House in the Big Woods. Birthplace of Laura Ingalls Wilder. I have been a huge "Little House" fan all my life. So is Lexie. In fact, the first book Lexie ever read by herself was "Little House in the Big Woods." I figure Torie should start early too. In January, when we made a trip to Wisconsin with Diedre and Liam, I got close to Pepin, but weather wasn't permitting. The drive from here took us along the Wisconsin side of the Mississippi, and it is beautiful. Lush green trees so thick that you can't see through them, and so much ground cover that you can't tell where it ends and the trees begin. Winding roads through hills that suddenly open up into farmland with picturesque farms with quaint red barns and silos. We went to the very cute town of Pepin, toured the museum, and went to a restaurant on the banks of Lake Pepin. It happened to be the one place with a parking space, so that was how we chose it. We had a delicious lunch (stuffed mushrooms sauteed in white wine on linguine) and the couple who was sitting behind us commented on how well-behaved Torie was. He felt Torie looked familiar, and the conversation turned to how she has Hurler's and had been through BMT. He said that with a diagnosis of Hurler's she would have a lot of orthopedic surgery ahead of her (which we already knew), and since he is the Chief of Staff of Orthopedics at Shriner's Hospital, he would like to help her. He gave us names and numbers of his secretary to start the process to get her to Shriner's and start evaluating her. Talk about the right time and place. The Heavenly Father really does have a plan, and he certainly does work in mysterious ways.
After lunch, feeling totally elated by our happenstance meeting, we went to the Little House in the Big Woods. Suddenly, Laura's life became real to me. I only wish Lexie had been there. It was so cool! Someday, Torie will read all those books and say, "My Grandma's took me there when I was little."
We left Pepin and went across the river, back into Minnesota to the town of Kellogg. There is an amazing toy store there called Lark Toys. They have everything! Including a hand-carved carousel. Torie and I had a great time on the otter. She loves Merry-Go-Rounds!
Today we had Clinic early, and we celebrated Day +200 with blood. Torie's hemoglobin dropped to 5.3, and platelets are down to 143. Dr. Orchard thinks we might need to start IVIG, because rituxan can make those levels drop, too. It is often frustrating when one med makes something drop another thing, and so on. Torie is feeling good though, so that makes things easier. She got a package from the Beckerman's today. They put in Beanie Babies that Uncle ("Auntie") Jason collected for years. Makinley sent her a butterfly named Flitter, and the poem on the tag is "I did not know what I was to be/ Covered in fuzz, it was hard to see/ Now a butterfly, what a beautiful sight/ On silken wings I take to flight." And Chase chose a lamb whose poem read "Fleecie is cuddly and soft as can be/ Give her a hug and then you will see/ When you hold her close to your ear/ You'll hear her whisper 'I love you, dear!'" From Erin and Jason was an angel bear, Halo, whose tag says "When you sleep, I'm always here/ Don't be afraid, I am near/ Watching over you with lots of love/ Your guardian angel[s] from up above!" I can't believe how appropriate they all are. We are blessed by wonderful family and friends. It is with support from all of you that we know we will have Vic-Torie!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
There was no happenstance about it. That man was specially placed there for you guys to meet...no doubt about it!
ReplyDeleteWe love you guys and think of you often. Stay strong, keep looking for pieces to the puzzle and get home quickly!
WHAT A BEAUTIFUL MERRY-GO-ROUND...I LOVE THEM-WHEN TARA WAS LITTLE IT WAS ONE OF OUR FAVORITE THINGS & NOW I DO IT WHITH HER BOYS WHENEVER POSSIBLE...SOUNDS LIKE YOU WERE IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME...KEEP TAKING THOSE BABY STEPS & ONE DAY YOU'LL BE RUNNING...... KATI
ReplyDeleteHow amazing! God certainly has a plan for you guys.
ReplyDelete~Julie
AH HA! I was just thinking about Shriner's when I open your latest post. De Ja vu! They are so wonderful and I hope you mentioned that you and Lexie were PHQs. Great timing on God's part (as well as you all's!) Hugs to all!
ReplyDeletenancy e
Dont forget about who the MPS experts are - I believe Dr.Walker is at Shriners (maybe or is he at Gillette?) And that Dr.Schwender the spine surgeon is at Twin Cities Spine Center - very cool that this dr recognized MPS I but still important to go with who has the most experience.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you enjoyed WI - hopefully it was cooler in those parts that it has been down here in central WI!
Take care,
Erica
www.caringbridge.org/wi/ericathiel
Oh Torie-nado, it was so nice to watch you riding the 'otter'. I just wish I could have seen your cute little face in the video. I know how much you laugh and giggle when you ride Merry Go Rounds. Some day soon, we will see that again. I know it and I can't wait!
ReplyDeleteI also know that we are not alone on this long journey with Torie. There have been, are and will be many Celestial interventions. Our Father in Heaven is running the show and there is a 'grand plan'. I don't believe very much in coincidences anymore. All the prayers and good thoughts have not only been with Torie, they have been with her little MN. friends and their families.
Vic-Torie Grand Kid. Vic-Torie! Keep growing the good cells and win these battles ahead of you. Your Papa Tom sure loves you and sure loves your cousins Chase, McKinnley, Brielle and Cooper. Family.
Papa Tom
OK first of all I'm so very jealous that you were able to visit the little house in the big woods! I'm also a huge little house on the praire fane! How crazy is that meeting a ortho doc there!! Everything happens for a reason. We hope the retuxin kicks in soon, and helps with those counts. Give Tori a hug for us, and no offense, but we hope not see you there in early oct. when we make our next trip!
ReplyDeleteTodd, Nicole, and Wyatt