Wednesday, July 21, 2010

T+167 Change That to 2 Steps...

Torie was admitted to Peds last night with a positive blood culture. She is doing much better today, so let me catch you up. Yesterday morning, Lexie and Scott took Torie to PT. Her new therapist, Beth, was also concerned about Torie's lack of movement. She wants to get Torie in 3 to 4 times a week to start. Torie did walk a little bit, but she just wasn't feeling too perky. Yesterday afternoon I went to Dr. Mike's with Lexie and Torie. We told Dr. Mike that she hadn't been eating or drinking much, although she wasn't throwing up anymore. Dr. Mike stopped Torie's Bumex (diuretic) and cut her Labetolol (blood pressure med) in half. I told Dr. Mike that I just felt like something was going on, but we couldn't nail down anything specific. Lexie had to go to work, and Torie was going to have a sleepover at the Great's, so I took her over there. I hadn't been home long when Trisha from Peds called me. Torie's blood culture from Monday morning was positive. That sure explains why she hadn't been feeling so hot! Mom and I took her up to Peds so she could get started on Vancomycin...again. Torie and I had another hospital slumber party. The highest her fever went was 100.4F/38.0C and it came down with some Tylenol. She had another blood culture drawn, as well as a CBC and some chemistry's. Her WBC's dropped to 3.6, and platelets went down to 121. Her sodium was still low - 129, but potassium came up to 3.1 after stopping the Bumex. She had to get poked for another blood culture. She was so brave with her poke...even though she was crying, she kept saying "Torie get a bandaid when poke all done." Even with all I've seen her go through, she amazes me with her bravery every time.

She had a much better day. She's starting to eat more and talk more. She got up with PT and played with the kitchen in the playroom and zoomed around in the firetruck. And she was laughing! Hooray! I think of all the things I've ever heard, Torie's laughter is the sweetest sound in the world. It's contagious - when Torie giggles and laughs, you can't help but join in! Her blood culture from her line last night has come back positive, but so far the peripheral (the poke) culture is negative. Tomorrow she'll have another blood culture and more labs. She'll also have over 24 hours of antibiotics in her little self. And hopefully we are all 24 hours closer to getting the Tor-Nado tearing around again. Thanks for hanging in there with us. You are appreciated and so are your happy thoughts and prayers...please keep sending them! Vic-Torie!

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad that Torie is feeling better. She looked better when I peaked in on her last night. I'll check on her before I leave work this morning.

    Hey Grand Kid, when I'm at work and go out and say my prayers for you and your little friends, I look at this one particlur star. Well guess what, I just found out that I have been praying to the International Space Station all this time! You have a crazy Papa Tom.

    Vic-Torie! 100% engraftment level!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are on the mend-I knew they would take good care of you in GJ too!

    You are indeed one of the bravest little ones I've ever known. Keep your spirits up, have fun at PT and hopefully you will be that little Tor-Nado soon!

    Love,
    Aunt Lettie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Torie,
    I am so sorry that you haven't been feeling good but I am glad that you are on the mend. I can't picture my sweet friend not running around and playing. We will keep praying for you and I know you will be better soon. Are you still coming to Minn? If so I'll see you there and give you some "go" juice :)(hugs!)

    Love to you and your Grandma's (and the rest of the family too:)
    Josiah

    ReplyDelete

If you are leaving an "Anonymous" comment, please leave your name so we know who to send happy thoughts back to!