Wednesday, May 19, 2010

T+104...Nephrotic Syndrome

It's official - Torie now has Nephrotic Syndrome. Her kidneys aren't doing what they're supposed to, like filtering the good from the bad. This is another complication of BMT. Like there aren't enough. Her lab work this morning wasn't great...Albumin down from 2.5 to 2.2, BUN and Creatnine up, urine protein up, hemoglobin down. She got an albumin infusion today and they increased her Bumex dose. Tomorrow she will probably get RBC's, but she has an antibody now, so hopefully it won't take forever to set up. We have to get in with Nephrology (kidney docs), and then they will see if steroids are the course of action. This same thing happened to our friend Joseph, and we are thinking of him and his family a lot. Thanks Kim and Pat for your support!

Some people are pushing for us to come home and treat this in Grand Junction. While I know Dr. Mike can manage this there, I'm not quite ready to take Torie on a 1200 mile road trip. I have such complete trust and confidence in Dr. Orchard that I'm willing to wait here until he gives us the green light to head home. They have gotten Torie this far and I just want to do what is best for her. We miss everyone so much and we can't wait to be home. Please keep up those prayers and happy thoughts for Torie...those will get us home sooner than anything else!

A huge thanks to Kati for the Bottoms-Up Balm. Torie has had a pretty sore fanny the last few days, and this has helped more than anything else...and if it's good enough for Kati's Grandbaby's fannies, it's good enough for Torie's!

Thanks for following along with us on this journey. We love your comments. Knowing that you read this and care so much for Torie makes our days easier! Vic-Torie!

9 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that - hopefully they can get it figured out soon! And good to know about the Bottoms-Up Balm! :p Hang in there a little longer ladies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ladies have come so far. I admire your strength-all of you! More prayers are coming your way from Colorado. Torie you are such a sweet little trooper! Hang in there! Just a little longer then you can come home. Wait for your green light then enjoy your trip. Love and kisses from Jamie and Joe Critelli.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not good news but a good decision to stay put until this bump in the road (I'm not very fond of bumpy roads!) is behind you. Dr. Orchard will get this handled too and then you can head west. Hats off to all of you for all that you have been through-a true inspiration!

    Our thoughts and prayers are always with you guys.

    Love,
    Aunt Lettie

    We miss all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry to hear about the latest bump in the road...we'll keep praying for the road trip to begin when the time is right...happy to hear that the balm is helping....

    hang in there...some day this will all just be a memory...

    kati

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man I have never heard so many crazy medical terms in one paragraph as your first one... I'm learning so much from Torie and my mom.... I think I'm good to last me a lifetime...

    I'm so sad you can't go home, but sounds like a good idea to just hang there tell you get the green light. We pray for you guys everyday and love you so much...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have so many people praying for you dear one, I know the Lord hears!! I am so sorry that you are not doing well but you are in good hands. We miss you all so much and pray that you will get to go home soon. Si has a cold already (as do the rest) it's not fun not to feel good. May the Lord bless!!

    Hugs from everyone,
    Carman crew :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Come on BABY GIRL.. you can do this. You've come so far.. just a little more..
    We love you and miss you so much.
    Disappointed in the setback.. but staying is the right thing to do.
    PRAYING.
    Grandma Dewy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for Torie!
    Love,
    Gracie's Noni

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Grand Kid Torie. Your Papa Tom misses you very much and I wish you were all back home but you are where you need to be now. I'm sad that you are going through another rough time. You are in good hands with the people looking after you there.

    I love you Torie-nado! See you soon!

    Papa Tom

    ReplyDelete

If you are leaving an "Anonymous" comment, please leave your name so we know who to send happy thoughts back to!